Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I was impressed over all with the down town business area. It had good reflective design with all the reflective windows. Towards the outskirts of the down town it was not so nice though, I saw many bums and drifters. The police station is down town which gives people a sense of security. The side walk were very nice except some of the patterns were in the shape of X’s which I found very unappealing. The of the rest of the walks were good though, they were not too distracting. They had simple trees and flower decorations. The down town had a pleasant arrangement of stores, but they were mostly oriented towards women shoppers. In the business section there were mostly restaurant besides the offices. I assume this is so the business men and women have easy access to food while at work.

First they should make the whole down town have the same stile side walks to make it uniform. Then they could take out some of the benches that attract loiterers. They should also add some store that would make down town more appealing to men so they can broaden their audience.

“Those handsome groupings of benches and tables? They seem inviting until Gibbs points out that they often attract teenagers and other loiterers, who scare off shoppers. “
This point was made very clear to me on our trip down town I saw so many bums just loitering in benches. Also myself as a teen I sat in some as well and probably added to the general fight of other shoppers. But I never really though a down town other than mine. In my down town we do not have bums; so only teens hang out in the down town and they are not really threatening. But this idea of being scared of is real though and I could see how it would detract from sales.

No comments: