Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I found a quote that Normand included in his chapter to be very shocking. “The brilliant conceptual artists Vitally Komar and Alex Melamid conducted surveys asking people questions like, what’s your favorite color? Do you prefer landscapes to portraits? Then they produced exhibitions of perfectly “user-centered art.” The results were profoundly disturbing. The works were completely lacking in innovation of finesse of craftsmanship, disliked even by the very same survey respondents.” I thought this was very interesting because it shows how people think they know what they want but in reality they don’t. It lets us know that people are naturally fickle and indecisive. I never grasped this concept to the degree that I have after reading this article. It made me think of all the times that I changed my mind after having thought it was made up.
I think that Normand could have used a more descriptive word instead of visceral but I feel the other categories are very easy to interpret. Reflective makes sense because it is how people want to be seen like an image or reflection. When I think about behavioral it brings to mind how something performs. I think that Normand should have used biological taste instead of visceral this would have been more simple and understandable.
If a designers need to know what type of design to make their product they need to take certain things into consideration. First they need to know which kind of person they are trying to sell to. If they are trying to appeal to a richer crowd they could make the product reflective. Then they need to think what would apply to the product that they are going to create. If they are going to make a glue stick it would be ridiculous to make it reflective it is obviously behavioral or visceral.

No comments: