Friday, October 3, 2008

It is a very difficult task to think of a product that is bought for the purpose of being complicated. My family tries to keep things simple but some of the art that we purchase is very detailed. It is even challenging to take in one of our pieces with a thorough investigation. We have a piece with a rooster on it that was created from all these colors and lines and shapes. So the rooster is not the important part it is a cover up the real art is how it is created by all the shapes and colors.
Complex products are only good when that is what the user is looking for. Most of the time they are inappropriate and frustrating for the user. Some users my take pride in the fact that their product is complicated and they are still able to operated it. I think the majority of the time simplicity is the way to go. It is easy to understand and operate. It is especially important when the product does crucial functions that need to be easily understood.
“A few summers ago, I was going on a three week long trip to Europe. The trip took me to France, Italy, Austria, and Switzerland. In order to document my vacation, my parents invested in a new digital camera for the family...It was the newest Kodak, complete with a special zoom and a bunch of other state-of-the-art features that I didn't understand. There were five buttons down the side, two buttons for zooming (in and out), and a cursor with four directions. I was unable to take full advantage of these features because the menus were seemingly impossible to navigate. They used terminology I did not understand, cued different images to appear on the screen that I did not know how to use, and made the camera far more intense than what was necessary. Visibility was great until you went into the menus, which I did not know how to navigate.” I like this quote from Brittney because I can really relate to her problem. For my seventeenth birthday I wanted a camera so my parents went with me to buy one. We went to Best Buy and Circuit City to compare prices. We ended up going to Circuit City and I bought a Sony camera. When we arrived home I took it out of the box. I was looking forward to being able to take artsy pictures, but all I could figure out was how to use the automatic function. This was a big disappointment for me. I wish that they had made the camera more user-friendly but that was not the case. I should have taken it back but I did not it had now become the family point and shoot camera.

No comments: